Five hundred and fifty years ago, Jesus Christ changed the world when he said, “love your neighbor as yourself.”
According to Jesus, we should all be helping others, and He offers several teachings throughout the New Testament about why this is important.
The main idea is that when we treat others with kindness and compassion, we are doing the same to Jesus Himself. Here is what Jesus says about helping others:
1. Helping others is an obligation, not an option – Jesus taught His disciples to go out into the world and help those in need. He said, “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in.”
Jesus showed that being kind and helpful to others is an obligation that we have to our fellow human beings.
2. Be generous – Jesus was very clear that we should give generously to others, regardless of their need. He said, “Give and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”
This means that generosity is rewarded. When we give freely to others, we are rewarded ourselves in ways we might never even know.
3. See the humanity in everyone – Jesus taught that every person, no matter how different they may be from us, should be seen as a fellow human being. He said, “Whatever you do to the least of my brothers, you do unto me.”
This means that no person is less than another, and that we should treat everyone with compassion, understanding, and respect.
4. Treat others with kindness and love – Jesus showed, through his actions, that it is extremely important to treat others with kindness and love. He said, “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Jesus taught that no matter what we do, we should always do it out of love for others.
5. Don’t judge others – Jesus taught his disciples that they should never judge one another. He said, “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.”
This means that we should always treat others with grace, and never with hatred or prejudice.
6. Share your blessings – Jesus taught his disciples that it is important to share what we have with those who don’t have it. He said, “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap.” This means that when we share our blessings, we will be blessed in return.
7. Pray for others – Jesus told his disciples to pray for those in need. He said, “Pray for those who persecute you so that you may be children of your Father in heaven.”
This means that we should always be mindful of those in need and should always be praying for them.
What About Giving to Those in Need?
When it comes to giving, Jesus tells us that we should give from the heart. He said, “Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be put in your lap.” Jesus also said, “The measure you use, it will be measured to you.” This means that when we give without expecting anything in return, we will receive blessings in return.
Additionally, Jesus encourages us to give to those in need. He said, “Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done.” This doesn’t mean that we should give to those in need because we are expecting something from God in return. It simply means that when we act out of love, with a generous and compassionate heart, then the blessings will come.
Jesus also reminds us to use our wealth wisely and to be generous. He said, “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.” This means that when we are generous with what we have been blessed with, then we are showing faith and trust in the Lord, and we will be rewarded for doing so.
Lastly, Jesus calls us to serve others out of love. He said, “Love your neighbor as yourself.” This means that when we are helping others, we should do it out of love, not out of obligation. We should be motivated by the desire to bless someone else, not out of our own self-interest.
How Doing Good Can Help You Grow Spiritually
Doing good can help us to grow spiritually in many ways. First, it can help us to become more humble. Jesus said, “Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.” This means that when we serve others and are humble, the Lord will lift us up.
Second, it can help us to be more compassionate. Jesus said, “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.” This means that when we are compassionate and merciful to others, then we will be shown the same mercy and kindness.
Third, it can help us to be more generous. Jesus said, “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be put into your lap.” This means that when we give with a generous heart, then we will receive blessings in return.
Fourth, it can help us to be more patient. Jesus said, “Love is patient, love is kind.” This means that when we are patient and kind with others, we will learn to cultivate the same patience and kindness in ourselves.
Fifth, it can help us to be more loving. Jesus said, “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another just as I have loved you.” This means that when we show love to others, we are showing love to Jesus Himself.
What You Can Do to Help Others
When it comes to helping others, there are many different things we can do. We can give financially by donating to charities and organizations that help the needy. We can serve meals to those who are hungry. We can volunteer our time to serve in our communities. We can visit those who are sick or lonely. We can offer words of encouragement to those who are going through hard times. The possibilities are endless.
It is also important to remember that helping others doesn’t always have to be a huge gesture. We can make a difference in someone’s life by simply smiling at them or by being kind and respectful. Small acts of kindness can go a long way and can make someone’s day.
When we are helping others, we should also be mindful of our own limitations. We should never overextend ourselves or put ourselves in a situation where we are overwhelmed. We should also be careful to treat others with respect and compassion.
Finally, we should be mindful of our own motivations when it comes to helping others. We should make sure that our motives are pure and not driven by our own selfish desires. We should be motivated by the desire to bless someone else, not out of our own self-interest.
What About Practical Considerations for Helping Others?
When it comes to helping others, it is important to take into consideration both practical and more abstract considerations. Practically, it is important to make sure that you are taking all the necessary safety precautions when doing so. For example, if you are volunteering at a homeless shelter, you should take the necessary steps to ensure that you and the people you are helping are safe and healthy.
Additionally, it is important to do your research before getting involved. Make sure that the organization you are getting involved in is legitimate and that your money or time is going to a reputable cause. Doing your research can ensure that you are helping in an effective and meaningful way.
It is also important to remember that helping others doesn’t always mean giving money. There are many ways to serve without giving money, such as volunteering your time, providing meals, and offering words of encouragement.
Lastly, it is important to remember that helping others doesn’t necessarily have to be a big gesture. Even small acts of kindness can make a difference in someone’s life. So don’t let yourself get overwhelmed by the thought of helping. Instead, focus on what you can do today to make someone’s life a little better.
Faithway.info, your online sanctuary for deepening your spiritual journey and mastering the teachings of the Bible. At Faithway.info, we are passionate about making the wisdom of the Bible accessible to everyone, fostering a community dedicated to growth, understanding, and support.